Friday, March 9, 2012

Big update blog.

I'm gonna go back to my journaling roots here, and bust out a long blog.  I've got a million things to talk about.  I will try to keep it entertaining.  I'm really not sure who still reads this blog, but I think I'm going to start treating it more as a diary.  It's private and can't be google searched, so I'm not worried about "stranger danger".  Anyone who would read this would be on my facebook anyway, so you already know most of the stuff that's going on in my life.  I have gotten progressively busier lately, and it's been hard to find the time to sit down and blog.  There are days when I don't even sit down at my computer at all, and you should all know that means I'm BUSY, lol!

So, let's start from the beginning.  The last time I blogged was in October, and John and I were in the middle of a huge spat.  We have since mended fences, and he's helping with wedding plans.  I was so upset and needed to blog about that so badly that I completely haven't mentioned that BFF Sarah gave birth to the most awesome baby ever on September 2, 2011.  I got a very early phone call from Sarah, and was shortly off to the hospital with her and Erik.  We got to the hospital around 7am, and Lucy Lane was born at 4:11pm.  It was a completely natural birth...the first I have witnessed firsthand.  Sarah was a champ, and Lucy has been a joy of a baby since the moment she was born.  

Here she is, probably around 1 minute old.

And here, sometime in January.

Seeing Lucy makes my uterus ache, and I'm thinking more and more about how wonderful it's going to be to finally be a mother.  I only had 3 main goals in life...get a degree, have a husband, have a child/children.  I am well on my way to becoming a wife, and you can guarantee that there will be a baby coming soon.  We have decided to start trying the first month we're married.  Derek's enthusiasm about having children only makes me happier.  I feel like a lot of things in my life are falling into place, becoming a mother is just another piece of the puzzle.

Shortly after we moved, Mom moved into a condo.  It is awesome, and perfect for her.  It's completely accessible for all of her needs, there is plenty of room, it is bright, and all-around the best possible place she can be.  She deserves it more than anyone I know, because she has really been getting shit on for the past 10 years.  She has a renewed energy and a smile I haven't seen in years.  The house on Manderlay was completely not functional for her.  She was unable to use the upstairs rooms, her bathroom was totally unsuitable for her needs, the kitchen didn't allow for much movement and the general layout not conducive to what she needs.  Also, and I don't really believe in auras, but that house was a den of sadness.  Our family lived there for 28 years, and all of the bad juju was just hanging out in the walls.  This condo has been one of the best things that has EVER happened to her.  We had christmas at her house this year instead of at John's, and I could tell that she was proud to have her family in her new home.  

Dad came to visit at the end of October.  Brianna and I picked him up from the airport, and the surprise Brianna/Dad reunion left everyone in tears.  He stayed with Derek and me for 10 days, and it was mostly good.  His health is pretty bad, and the more I learn about Cardiology and diabetes the more scared I get for him.  He has put his body through so much over the years and I am finally able to see what smoking and shitty food can do to you.  He has heart failure, and is basically permanently swollen from edema.  His legs are quite purple, and he has a hard time breathing because fluid has been accumulating in his lungs.  He coughs and cannot catch his breath, which is one of the hardest things I've ever seen.  I took his pulse, and his heart was skipping beats and overcompensating with 2 fast beats, which terrified me at the time but terrifies me even more now that I'm learning about the circulatory system.  It's hard to see a parent's body break down, but it has been a good reminder about how I need to take care of myself.  My father has abused his body and continues to abuse it through his heart disease.  At this point, it's not correctable, and that makes me sad.  I'll be seeing him again, though I don't think it will be until my wedding.

So, with all of this talk about weddings, I should probably talk a little more about our engagement and the plans we have in place.  He proposed December 14th, because apparently he just couldn't wait until christmas.  He was going to do it on christmas to throw me off (because I thought there was no way he would do it...) but he ended up proposing the same day the ring came in.  It was a hilarious, tearful, and beautiful night, and I will never forget it.  I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him.  We've decided to get married September 29th of this year, in an outdoor ceremony performed by Sarah's husband Erik.  I have a dress, bridesmaids, a flower girl, and a whole lotta other plans for a beautiful wedding.  Right now, we're trying for 175 people or less.  You never realize how many friends and family you actually have until you put them all on a list and freaking COUNT them!  We also chose a honeymoon spot that is perfect for us and we're going to have an amazing time.  We rented a cabin outside of Pigeon Forge, TN that has all of the amenities and ALL of the seclusion, yet we'll still be close enough to tour the city.  I am so excited about this honeymoon, it's ridiculous.  More than the wedding or the honeymoon, I am excited about spending the rest of my life with my perfect match.  We belong together, and every experience I've had has led me to this point.  I found the man of my dreams, and I am going to marry the everliving shit out of him.

For funsies, here is a pic of Derek and Rascal napping together.  Derek was 
sick with pneumonia, but it was a sweet moment.

I am still working for Interim, and finally back in school after a term off.  I am busier than I have been in a long time (my AA committee days).  I work M-F, have class M/W nights, and an online class too.  I'm finally getting into the science and medicine aspects of the program, and I'm loving it.  My Biology professor sucks and I'm having to do double the work because his lectures are lacking, but I'm learning a whole lot and refreshing my memory on a lot of things.  Medical Terminology is the best class I've taken in my life...I feel like it's really getting me prepared for A&P (Anatomy & Physiology).  I'm learning SO much!  The next two terms are going to suck--I basically have to finish up my 2-part pre-requisites (Biology and Chemistry) before the school switches to 12-week semesters in the fall.  Nursing school feels like it's going to take forever, but I know that it will be worth it when I'm done.  Derek officially has his Associates, and I am so proud of him!!!  He is making a better future for us, and I'm working on making a better future too.

Work is mostly boring...I have the same 2 patients during the week so it can get dull.  One of my patients, however, made things pretty interesting a couple of weeks ago when I had to take them to the hospital for some not-so-awesome reasons.  (damn you, HIPAA!!)  Basically, working homecare is NOT the best job.  I've got my foot in the door, but I'm making shit money and I'm like a "maid with benefits".  Seriously.  I do some actual STNA work like baths, skin care, and the like...but I do more dishes per day than I care to count.  I realize that my job is very important, and that these people's lives and homes would fall to shit if they didn't have an aide.  I cherish the moments I get to be on the medical side of things, and try to keep a positive attitude when I'm feeling like a maid.  I am genuinely helping people, and they are genuinely thankful.  So I guess it's not too bad.  Still, I look forward to getting my 6-10 months of homecare in and moving on to something a little more my speed.  Hopefully I can get a job at a hospital once I have some experience under my belt.

Life really is going fantastically.  I couldn't be happier.  That's pretty much all I can say!  Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment